Junior Site Reliability Engineer, Online Retailer
About the vacancy
Our client is one of the biggest online retailers worldwide with an annual revenue of £1 billion. Over the years we helped the client develop web-portals, mobile apps, delivery control systems, staff management tools, data storage and much more. The systems we’ve built together are in operation 24/7, contributing to the client’s success.
Site Reliability Engineering is a new role, first introduced by Google, that combines the skills of developers and ops to deliver more reliable, scalable software. The goal is to analyze a diverse set of applications (primarily built using Java, Oracle, AWS, Google Cloud services and a number of other technologies) and bind them into a reliable self-healing suite, working within defined reliability requirements. This requires proactive work to ensure observability, analyze potential bottlenecks and suggest their fixes before they become a production incident.
This position may be of interest to DevOps engineers who would like to get closer to the code or get valuable specialization with a focus on JVM stack. The position may also appeal to developers who are interested in how large scale systems operate and what happens to the code after it is live.
- Analyze and improve the availability, latency, performance, and efficiency of the applications
- Proactive support of production applications (both in-office and out of hours) across a range of domains, these are mainly written in Java and use Oracle databases.
- Improve the monitoring and alerting of the applications
- Capacity planning and provisioning
- Improve and standardize build pipelines, identify and reduce any areas of manual toil through automation.
- Consult in areas of reliability and scalability for the development of new applications.
- Work together with teams in other departments to find solutions
- Conduct periodic on-call duties
- Understanding of software development life cycle, experience with project management tools like Jira
- Good Understanding of Linux and UNIX-based systems
- Ability to build and run SQL queries
- Good English communication and problem-solving skills
Would be a plus
- Experience with real-time monitoring/alerting
- Knowledge of Java and Spring framework
- Understanding of NoSQL databases
- Understanding of virtualization and containers (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Knowledge of scripting languages (python, ruby)
Work at DataArt is
Our relationships with clients and colleagues are based on mutual respect, no matter what differences we may have.
- Long-term partnership
- Respect for individuality and freedom of expression
- Flexible schedule, comfortable offices, and the ability to work from home
- Market-driven compensation and health care
- High quality internal administrative services
Get the opportunity to unleash your potential in DataArt's ecosystem
- Highly qualified team
- Communities and knowledge sharing
- English classes
- Internal educational system
Freedom to explore and opportunities to get new experience and knowledge. Constant willingness to change
- Work contract with DataArt, not project based employment
- Flat structure
- Minimum rules
- Rules and policies change with context, while values stay the same
- Easy movement among offices and opportunities for relocation
The ability to count on each other and the willingness to trust people lies at the heart of relationships in DataArt
- Management via context, bottom-up decision making. We avoid micromanagement
- Clear equal rules and policies
- Fair management
- No ranking vs others, no regular reassessments. Fair seniority assessment